With energy bills constantly increasing, householders are being urged to adopt a No.1 New Year’s resolution of making their homes much more energy efficient. The National Insulation Association (NIA) is advising that one sure way for householders to keep the heat in and reduce their energy bills in the future is to install insulation NOW!
The NIA has put together ten facts that will help inform households about the benefits of installing insulation:
1. Around 58% of a home’s heat can be lost through un-insulated walls and lofts. A hassle-free way to save energy and prevent money disappearing into thin air is to stop this heat escaping with insulation.
2. Solid Wall Insulation can save around £475* a year on householder’s fuel bills year-on-year! It can also reduce a home’s carbon footprint by around 2 tonnes of CO2 each year.
3. If every UK household suitable for Cavity Wall Insulation (CWI) installed it, a saving of 4 million tonnes of CO2 every year could be made – a decrease in 560kg of CO2 per household. CWI pays for itself in around 2 years and will typically save around £140* a year on householder’s energy bills.
4. Draught proofing around leaky door and window frames can save around £55* a year on energy bills and can make a home feel more snug and pleasant.
5. Insulating under the floorboards on your ground floor will save you around £60* a year and you can seal the gaps between floors and skirting boards to reduce further draughts too.
6. Loft insulation can save around £180* per year on householder’s energy bills and around 730kg of CO2 a year.
7. NIA members will provide an independent 25 year guarantee from the Cavity Insulation Guarantee Agency (CIGA) and/or Solid Wall Insulation Guarantee Agency when Cavity Wall Insulation / Solid Wall Insulation is installed, providing the householder with an independent, uniform and dependable guarantee.
8. Tax allowances of up to £1,500 are available until 2015 for Landlords through the Landlords Energy Saving Allowance. Enabling landlords to claim the cost of insulation solutions on all their properties.
9. Homeowners can be safe in the knowledge that an NIA installer will have signed up to a strict Code of Professional Practice. Meaning peace of mind comes as standard with an NIA approved member.
10. The best way to find out if a house requires insulation is to contact an NIA installer member for a free survey and advice on any grants or schemes that can help with paying for insulation measures. Use the postcode locator search on the NIA’s home page to find a local installer.
To find out more or to contact a local installer, householders should visit the NIA website on www.nia-uk.org or call 08451 636363.
*Figures based on a typical three-bedroom semi-detached gas heated house installing cavity wall insulation. Loft insulation savings when you insulate an uninsulated loft. Solid wall insulation saving is the average saving between internal and external solid wall insulation. Both with an 80% efficient gas boiler and average gas tariff of 4.64p/kWh and electricity tariff of 15.32p/kWh. Figures from the EST.